Subject: RE: Texture images
From: [email-masked] (ArmandoRuggeri)
Date: 07 Dec 94 03:14:50 MST
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.packages.lightwave

Douglas Rudd writes:

>I am using LW3.5 and am having problems with texture maps (bit maps)
>repeating or tiling and the color 0 mapping onto the surface. I am
>trying to place an insignia on an aircraft, and the black background
>of the insignia maps on the aircraft and the insignia tiles across the
>surface. I've read everything in the manual on this topic but could 
>find nothing to stop the tile or genloc the color 0.

>If it IS in the manual, please just give me the page/paragraph.

>Doug Rudd
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately there is no "Alpha Channel" support for image textures! (I find it one of the worst
failings of LW!).

There are 2 ways to get around this:

            1) If the background colour of your object is consistently 1 colour then you can compose
               your image over an alpha channel render of your object.

                        Step 1) Render an alpha channel image of you object
                        Step 2) In a paint program fill in the "Black" portion of the redered image
                                with any colour you wish your BG to be"
                        Step 3) Compose you "Decal" in the corect position on the "White" portion of
                                the rendered image.
                        Step 4) Fill in the "White" portion of the rendered alpha channel with the
                                same BG colour.

                        Step 5) Apply your image as a map on your object. (You may have to play with
                                size and position settings for it to be perfect)

            2) You can cut a polygon to rename and set an alternate surface to.

                        Step 1) Take your "decal" and make an object out of it with a program like
                                Pixel 3D, or use your image as a background image in LW modeler and
                                create an object manually.(Make sure you extrude your object into the
                                plane you are going to be cutting into.) 

                        Step 2) Using the "Slice" tool, cut the polygon(s) you wish to apply your
                                "decal" to, with your newly created "decal" object.

                        Step 3) Assign a unique surface name to your newly created polygon(s).

                        Step 4) Apply your image map to that surface.

Hope this helps...

Armando Ruggeri